Friday, April 13, 2007

Today's rants are brought to you by the media, cats, and the number 17.


I don't care for the media anymore. I don't want to hear about any and every single potentially slightly interesting story that is currently going on. Stories like: Baby born in hospital filled with Deadly Bacteria or Obscure Person you didn't know of said bad thing about some people. This celebrity has gotten together with this celebrity just after this person died. Oh no, look a child has been kidnapped by terrorists that are now crying for the death of the United States. The first story makes me wonder if the baby was filled with bacteria or if the hospital was. I better tune in at 11 to find out. Really what I'm trying to get at is that news stations depend on ratings to maintain sponsors. As a result we are now forced to listen to only the most depressing or sensational news available at the time of the broadcast. That way ratings stay high and the money flows. As a result we have to continually listen to everyone debate the meaning, motivation, theoretical reasoning and most importantly the opinions of these people. No longer do we need to assemble the facts ourselves, we can just take their opinion.

Why do I need their opinion? Just give the the facts and I'll sort it out for myself. My sister is always catching me with this one. I'll tell her about something I read, more than likely it is some big medical break through or some thing and she respond with “Name your sources.” Damn, I have none. I just read an article on line that simplifies the break through and doesn't tell me much of anything else. It does give me an opinion of whether the break through is good or not. Personally I feel that that the news media we receive should be nothing but facts. A list of things happened the facts surrounding the incident. That way we can for our own opinion.


Also I don't care for the number 17. While it may be prime, I still don't care for it.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Don Imus is not obscure. He had one of the largest nationaly syndicated morning radio shows, but it has never been carried in the Twin Cities. But you could still see him on MSNBC.

I'm just saying.

Aronj001 said...

What about the radio DJ that told her corporate masters to shove it on air. That is a better example of my point.

Unknown said...

Jon Stewart often tells people to go get the news elsewhere, but the Daily show is still the best place that I can imagine to get the day's headlines.

What the mainstream news channels need are a bit of skepticism and humor. Less Anna Nicole Smith.

DFGAG said...

MUCH less Anna, MUCH more peanut butter.