Monday, April 23, 2007

The Art of Limit

Recently I gave up caffeine. It came as a result of drink a vast amount of it in order to stay awake while driving. My long late night drive from Ashland Wisconsin was difficult even with the three energy drinks, a coffee, and a pop or two I was still having trouble staying awake. Thankfully my lovely fiancée stayed awake with me for most of the ride. Needless to say that got me thinking, why am I drinking all this caffeine if it doesn't even help me stay awake? A few of my friends in the past have recommended cutting it out for a while. So taking their advice I stopped taking the caffeine.
After about a week and some Tylenol I was doing fine without it. No shakes, wild cravings for the smell of fresh ground coffee, no cold sweats, it was fairly uneventful. I was an at least hoping for a baby on the ceiling but alas my hopes never came to fruition. But is the meantime I found some inspiring pictures of coffee drinks made by either board customers or excellent baristas. The rest can be found here: Coffee Photos

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The problem is when one's metabolism starts taking the caffeine for granted, and it slows it's own metabolic juices. This is why people feel like they can't wake up without two cups of coffee, their body isn't producing the natural wake-up enzymes because it assumes that you will be ingesting tons of caffeine early in the day.

I tend to be of the mindset that a little bit is fine, (as in; a tea or coffe once or twice a week) but if I find myself having had caffeine a couple of days in a row, I try to have zero for the rest of the week.

DFGAG said...

Excellent. Better yourself. This is something to be proud of.
I have always been of the mindset that my body is my "mechsuit" and I can only function as well as it performs. Something more Americans really aught to think about because their body is the only thing that other people cannot steal from them without something very sharp and a lot of ice, or perhaps a complete disregard for any reward from the theft.