Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tipping

I may have deduced the perfect formula for tipping. No more will you need to figure out 15% or try to decide how well the waiter did to justify the arbitrary number you are assigning to their service. Heres how it works.

You divide X (The total number of times the waiter/waitress came to the table) over 2 plus N. (N is equal to the number of times the waiter/waitress came to the table and it was an annoyance.) Now take that number and multiply it by 1.5 and round it to the nearest dollar. If the waiter/waitress was good they should get a nice big tip if they where annoying they will receive less of a tip.


((X/(2+n))*1.5)Roundup = tip


I'm going to start to use this formula more often and see how well it works. There is another variable that I will include. If you have to wear a tie to the restaurant add a zero to the number that you round too and double it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like there's some duplication going on up there in that post.

In any case, this is kind of neat, but it focuses mainly on how often you see your waiter/ess, which is not usually what I base my tips on.

I actually prefer that the waiter/ess leave me alone to enjoy my food, and base my tip on a simple 20% minus bad service. If the service is amazing, I usually go 25 or 30%.

I really enjoy it when the wait staff seems genuinely friendly and is good at reading people, how often they refill my water is largely inconsequential to me.